Skilled LaborerBellingham, WA - Bell Lumber & Pole
BELL LUMBER & POLE
Over its 100+ year history, Bell Lumber & Pole Co. along with its family of businesses (Alamco Wood Products, Bell Structural Systems and Bell Timber Inc,) has built an incredibly strong reputation for excellence and is one of the largest producers of high-quality renewable wood poles for utility companies throughout North America and abroad. Bell has become a key partner to the expansion of our power grid to empower the move toward sustainable energy use. Bell is also a leading manufacturer of carbon-negative mass timber architectural and structural beams for commercial and industrial applications. Bell Lumber and Pole is present in multiple states throughout the US and employs over 270 employees across 9 locations.
Since 1909, the Bell family has been committed to taking care of customers, the environment, and the communities in which we serve. This position is being created to help us advance our commitment to sustainable practices by optimizing our use of renewable materials while reducing the carbon footprint of our operations and that of our customers.
For the Bell family of companies, our mission statement is something that captures the heart of our employees at every level. We work hard so that the profit of the company is used: TO RADICALLY LOVE AND INFLUENCE LIVES. This mission is lived out internally through our values-driven workplace and externally through our passion for giving back and serving communities both near and far.
Yard Laborers are responsible for accurately determining the class and length of utility poles, and inspecting them to ANSI or customer standards.
In addition, Yard Laborers are also responsible for manually drilling, removing excess bark and trimming poles.
The Yard Laborer is also available to assist the other employees with any physical tasks associated with the operation of the pole yard and filling orders as determined by the supervisor.
Monday-Friday 7:30am-4pm, overtime may be required.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Measuring poles, piles, posts, etc. for compliance with ANSI or ASTM classing standards for the best value to the company.
- Marking and identifying products properly.
- Properly identify any material defects, limited or prohibited, and apply the proper grading rules per ANSI, ASTM, RUS or customer standards and specifications.
- Shaving with a drawknife or other tools, any areas missed by the mechanical shaver, and problem spots to repair poles and other products to meet standards & specifications.
- Trimming poles to size using a chainsaw.
- Adhering to all company policies, including the use of PPE and other safety measures.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Working in an outdoor environment in variable weather conditions.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Ability to quickly learn and become familiar with industry grading standards.
- Ability to learn to safely operate and maintain draw knives and chainsaws.
- Ability to accurately read a tape measure.
- Ability to climb on, over and around poles and pole piles.
- Basic math skills & value decision-making skills.
- Must successfully complete Bell Lumber & Poles hazardous waste management training.
- Ability to safely use all power and hand tools.
- Safety – must be able to properly use and maintain all PPE associated with this job.
WORK ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL DEMANDS
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms and is occasionally required to sit, talk and hear, and to use hands to finger, handle or feel. The employee will frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, infrequently lift up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus. The work environment characteristics are best defined as an outdoor environment with exposure to elements such as heat, cold, precipitation, and wind. Employees will have moderate exposure to noise as heard in pole production yard, including exposure to higher noise levels associated with power equipment. Employee may have light exposure to the chemicals and solutions used in treating wood. The job may require overtime.
Bell Lumber & Pole is an equal opportunity employer.
Bell Lumber & Pole is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
This applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Bell makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Bell is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 651-203-2713 or send an e- mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
For additional detail, you can read through our EEO Policy.