FramerSidney, NE - Bell Lumber & Pole
BELL LUMBER & POLE
Over its 100+ year history, Bell Lumber & Pole Co. along with its family of businesses (Alamco Wood Products, Bell Structural Systems and Bell Timber Inc,) has built an incredibly strong reputation for excellence and is one of the largest producers of high-quality renewable wood poles for utility companies throughout North America and abroad. Bell has become a key partner to the expansion of our power grid to empower the move toward sustainable energy use. Bell is also a leading manufacturer of carbon-negative mass timber architectural and structural beams for commercial and industrial applications. Bell Lumber and Pole is present in multiple states throughout the US and employs over 270 employees across 9 locations.
Since 1909, the Bell family has been committed to taking care of customers, the environment, and the communities in which we serve. This position is being created to help us advance our commitment to sustainable practices by optimizing our use of renewable materials while reducing the carbon footprint of our operations and that of our customers.
For the Bell family of companies, our mission statement is something that captures the heart of our employees at every level. We work hard so that the profit of the company is used: TO RADICALLY LOVE AND INFLUENCE LIVES. This mission is lived out internally through our values-driven workplace and externally through our passion for giving back and serving communities both near and far.
The purpose of the Laborer is to assist the Framer in accurately setting the “face” of the poles, precisely and accurately drilling the proper holes, and placing the necessary gains. In addition the Laborer will do the proper ground line preparation, as well as attaching identification tags on the utility poles. The Laborer is also available to assist the other employees with any physical tasks associated with the operation of the pole yard and treating plant.
If are you looking to work for a great family business where you can work outdoors, we would like to talk with you!
Full-Time. Monday - Friday
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Shaving with a drawknife, any areas missed by the mechanical shaver, and problem spots or repairing damaged spots on poles and other products.
- Measuring and marking properly the locations of the gains, holes, tags and other associated parts of poles and other products.
- Measuring ground lines, tops, knots of poles and other products for compliance with ANSI, AWAP, ASTM, REA grading standards.
- Properly identify any defects, limited or prohibited, and apply the proper grading rules per ANSI, AWPA, ASTM, REA standards.
- Drilling the holes with precision and accuracy per the framing instructions of the customers.
- Performing the proper ground line preparation on poles that require it.
- Install any and all associated markings per the customers’ specifications, including but not limited to; star locks, marking tags, specialty tags, burn brands, balance points.
- Assisting with other duties as assigned by Management.
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Working in an outdoor environment in variable weather conditions.
Pass a drug test.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- A strong familiarity with and practical knowledge of the ANSI, REA and AWPA specs as they relate to utility poles and associated products.
- Ability to accurately and precisely read a tape measure.
- Ability to precisely and accurately drill framing holes and ground line preparation as directed.
- Ability to climb on, over and around poles and pole piles.
- Basic math skills.
- Ability to safely use all powered and hand tools required completing the proper framing as related to the customer’s specifications.
- Safety – must be able to properly use and maintain all PPE associated with this job.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms and is occasionally required to sit, talk and hear, and to use hands to finger, handle or feel. The employee will frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, infrequently lift up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus. The work environment characteristics are best defined as an outdoor environment with exposure to elements such as heat, cold, precipitation, wind. Employees will have moderate exposure to noise as heard in pole production yard, including exposure to higher noise levels associated with power equipment. Employee will have light exposure to the chemicals and solutions used in treating wood. The job may occasionally require overtime.
Bell Lumber & Pole is an equal opportunity employer.
Bell Lumber & Pole is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
This applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Bell makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Bell is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 651-203-2713 or send an e- mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
For additional detail, you can read through our EEO Policy.