ForesterNE Minnesota or NW Wisconsin - Bell Lumber & Pole
BELL LUMBER & POLE
Over its 100+ year history, Bell Lumber & Pole Co. along with its family of businesses (Alamco Wood Products, Bell Structural Systems and Bell Timber Inc,) has built an incredibly strong reputation for excellence and is one of the largest producers of high-quality renewable wood poles for utility companies throughout North America and abroad. Bell has become a key partner to the expansion of our power grid to empower the move toward sustainable energy use. Bell is also a leading manufacturer of carbon-negative mass timber architectural and structural beams for commercial and industrial applications. Bell Lumber and Pole is present in multiple states throughout the US and employs over 270 employees across 9 locations.
Since 1909, the Bell family has been committed to taking care of customers, the environment, and the communities in which we serve. This position is being created to help us advance our commitment to sustainable practices by optimizing our use of renewable materials while reducing the carbon footprint of our operations and that of our customers.
For the Bell family of companies, our mission statement is something that captures the heart of our employees at every level. We work hard so that the profit of the company is used: TO RADICALLY LOVE AND INFLUENCE LIVES. This mission is lived out internally through our values-driven workplace and externally through our passion for giving back and serving communities both near and far.
The basic function of the Forester is to support the Eastern Fiber Manager in all phases of wood procurement and to participate and assist in all associated programs. Employment will be based out of NE Minnesota or NW Wisconsin
Reports to: Eastern Fiber Manager
Reporting to this Position: Timber Marker/Forest Technician
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The principle duties and responsibilities of the Forester consist of, but are not limited to the following:
- Procurement of utility poles from open market suppliers.
- Evaluating timber stumpage sales for purchase of utility poles
- Pursuing and evaluating timber lands for purchase.
- Manage company owned lands.
- Pursuing and evaluating private landowners for enrollment in the Bell Timber’s Management Assistance Program for forest landowner assistance.
- Identifying and marking of forest products to meet company specifications.
- Overseeing and scheduling full or part time technicians.
- Set-up of all company controlled timber sales including: management plan development, timber marking, surveying, road layout, reporting, and notification processes.
- Coordination of tree planting as needed.
- Assistance in the coordination of and negotiations with production and trucking agreements with contractors.
- Assist in the marketing of forest products not utilized by company.
- Assist in development of forecasts, budgets, operating plans, and harvest schedules.
- Assist in initial forest products accounting and general daily office activities.
- Assist in the scaling of forest products delivered to company yards and on remote sites.
- Attend all necessary training activities to remain current on forest management techniques and industry requirements.
- Minimum of two years experience in forestry preferably to include timber marking, surveying, management plan development, industry requirement training, GIS/GPS experience, and contractor/trucker administration/relations.
- A minimum of a two-year degree in forestry with preference of a four-year degree.
- Physical ability to conduct sometimes strenuous field tasks for long periods.
- Solid verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of various public ordinances, laws, and industry requirements and practices.
- Proficient personal computer skills with spreadsheets, databases, word processing and electronic communications.
- Ability to cover a large work area and to include regular overnight stays.
- Valid Class C driver’s license in base state. Base state will be Minnesota or Wisconsin
Bell Lumber & Pole is an equal opportunity employer.
Bell Lumber & Pole is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
This applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Bell makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Bell is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 651-203-2713 or send an e- mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
For additional detail, you can read through our EEO Policy.